Skip to main content

Interview With Me! Animation Insider

http://www.animationinsider.com/2011/04/stephanie-olivieri/

Stephanie Olivieri Assistant animator/clean up artist-traditional, 2D, paper and pencil and storyboards (boarding, clean-up & revisions)

What is your name and your current occupation?

What are some of the crazier jobs you had before getting into animation?
I worked as a waitress and an actress before animation, so nothing too crazy.

What are some of your favorite projects you’re proud to have been a part of?
Hard to say, honestly I love everything I have worked on for different reasons. Feature films are fun because of how long you are with the characters and crew, commercials and shorts are fun because of the crazy hours and cartoony characters. How did you become interested in animation? I went to an audition for a Disney film and was doodling on my call sheet, and they brought it up.

Where are you from and how did you get into the animation business?
I am from all over really, but came out to Los Angeles for acting. Disney got me into the business by offering me an internship after the audition in above question. I turned that down because I was still acting. A couple years later I was depressed about how hard making a living as an actress was, so I went to see Lion King and a friend brought up the offer and why wasn’t I doing that. I went to the classes at the animation guild for a year and luckily was offered a job after that.

What’s a typical day like for you with regards to your job?
It really depends on the project, but right now I am working freelance, so I get up early, 6 or 7, and draw until 8-midnight depending on how demanding the schedule it. I also will go to meetings and drop off and pick up work. And yes occasionally get a hike, or run in mid day and then continue working late at night.

What part of your job do you like best? Why?
I love that I get to draw for a living and the why is because I love to draw.

What part of your job do you like least? Why?
That work is not consistent and you never know where your next job will come from, how much it will pay, or how long it will last.

What is the most difficult part for you about being in the business?
Finding and keeping steady work.

What kind of technology do you work with on a daily basis?
None really. I draw with paper and pencil, sometimes I scan in scenes, but that’s about it.

In your travels, have you had any brushes with animation greatness?
Yes of course because I have worked at all the major studios and all over the world.

Describe a tough situation you had in life.
Being out of work when animation crashed in 2001- that was the hardest time in my life professionally because the career I had was gone in an instant, or it felt that way. I had a mountain of debt and had to file bankruptcy, it was humiliating and demoralizing.

Any side projects you’re working on you’d like to share details of?
I am also a writer, so I have a lot of TV shows and novels that I work on.

Is there any advice you can give for an aspiring animation student or artist trying to break into the business?
Stay true to what you love about animation, but try to be current with software and programs. Flash and ToonBoom are the two that I would definitely learn if you want to work in 2D. Then of course for 3D there are so many depending on what you want to do whether special FX, gaming, films, etc. Also work hard and if you can focus on one main area. Be nice to everyone and don’t ever stab anyone in the back, not even to get a job. This industry is small and everyone knows everyone. Also remember not to compare yourself to others. We as artists are all different and there is no reason to try to be someone else, and worry about what someone else is doing. There will always be someone better and someone worse than you are. Lastly, draw, draw, draw all the time and study films, books, etc.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Need B School with Marie Forleo CHANGING MY LIFE

Hey everyone, so I made a video see above.. in all my glorious after yoga before Beachbody or gym or whatever I do later-which could be simply walking with Wrigley glory. Meaning in Hollywood terms, not a stitch of make up! So what is B School and what on earth am I thinking spending the money when I have $8 dollars---yes EIGHT dollars, I have 8 dollars in my bank right now and about 3 bucks in quarters for laundry. LOL.. I laugh, the life of an artiste!! I am living like Jack Dawson, from Titanic---it's sooo much fun.. but you know I would like to have some stability in my life.  I am not looking to get rich here, rich wouldn't be awful...but you know, I just want to take my life to the next level and I am planning on doing just that. Seriously, I need to stop saying the following things: 1) I can't afford to.....(whatever) I am sooo sick of hearing me say that I can't go to this conference or take this class or tak a weekend off because I don't have the m

It's Been Awhile---Catching Up With Me

 So much to say and how to say it... so I'll just start with. Wow, what a year it's been.  I mean, could anyone have predicted all the shite that has hit us in 2020?  NO way!  I'm grateful for so much though, and one of them is the freedom to be able to have blogs (yes I have many) and the freedom to say whatever I want ---this is important.  I'm grateful that I live where I do and even though I'm not rich, I am healthy and live a good life. I do what I can to help others, I also have a loving husband and a Westie who I adore.  As many of you know that aside from blogging sporadically on here I'm a writer and an artist AND I work one on one with both artists and writers to help them in their careers. I've been doing this since 2006 (artists) 2010 (writers). The past few years I've focused on coaching writers as I became the queen of writing conferences and people were always hitting me up for free advice. I even started a YouTube channel CHECK IT OUT Thi

Living Like Jack Dawson Making It Count

Last week was an awful week for me and I let worry, fear, and dread get to me and it was not pleasant. So this is a brand new week and in a new week I am going to do my best to change my attitude and start living life like Jack Dawson-hopefully with a better ending. If you wonder what I mean by that, I mean that I will still work hard and do everything in my power to change my life/financial/job situation, but I will adapt his atitude of enjoying every day and taking life as it comes and not freaking out every time things don't go as planned. In the last 6 years I have been in this situation where a job ends earlier than I thought, or something falls through and it always works out, yet every time it happens fear creeps his ugly head in and starts freaking me out. I am done being afraid. I can't take much more of this, so besides working hard and changing my strategy, I am going to change my attitude and enjoy things more. This summer I was in Seattle and one week in August I