Skip to main content

"Who Would You Have Dinner With?"

In college and even some job applications that age old essay question always pops up: "Who would you have dinner with, dead or alive, if given the chance?"

In 10th grade, I answered Madonna because I thought she was strong, ambitious, smart and could do whatever she wanted. I admired her so much, and wanted to be like her in many ways-not a pop start-but I wanted to be like her spirit. I was living alone at the time (long story), and had really no one in my life to look up to and she was a role model to me.

In 12th grade we were asked the same question and again, I answered, Madonna for the same reasons. Although at this point I had moved in with my mother and my step-father, who hated me in high school. I was really close to my step-brother John, but still felt isolated and alone and Madonna symbolized someone who made it on her own, even though things were hard.

Throughout the years I have had many idols and of course that question has been asked of me in interviews and such. I even had to write an essay for a college application a few years back. There are lots of people who I would like to have dinner with.

Nora Ephron-for being a role model to me as a woman and as a writer. She changed the way I felt about romantic comedies and character.

Rick Allen of Def Leppard-for going on as a DRUMMER after losing his arm in a car accident.

Ron Howard-amazing director.

Woody Allen-the writing thing again.

Tom Cruise-he's hot, I admire his work and "why" Scientology Tom? Why?

But to be honest, the one person living or dead who I would want to have dinner with is my father.

He passed away on June 7th of this year and for the last 6 years he has been living a home with dementia. He was too far away for me to go see him and since work has been a Craps shoot-although I am great at Craps-I haven't been able to visit so I sent him cards every other day.

If I could have dinner with him I would tell him how much his death is destroying me inside day by day and how much I miss him. I would tell him how much I admire him for living through the war-WW2-as a teenager/sniper and going underground with the American army. I would tell him how much I admired him for always enjoying life and making the best even when things sucked. I would tell him that he was strong and noble and caring and everything I hope to be someday. I would apologize for not visiting him more and writing to him more before he got so sick. I would tell him that he changed who I am by leaving me and shaped who I am just for being my father. I would tell him how much those trips to Tasty-Freeze as a kid meant to me, and hanging out at the airport where he worked. I would tell him that I am sorry that I wasn't there and he was sad and I couldn't help him stop drinking. I would tell him how very sorry I am for every time he called and I didn't have time to talk to him because I was too busy with my life out here in California. I would tell him how much every one of those calls on my birthday at midnight meant to me, and New Year's Eve when he would call me twice, once at 9 pm pst-because that was when the ball actually dropped in NYC, and then again at midnight pst because that was when I was having my new year-I would tell him how much those calls meant to me. I would tell him that I love him. I would tell him how angry I am that he left me, and I would tell him that I miss him every second of every day.

That's who I would spend my dinner with, if given the chance.

My father. Just sayin'

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's Been Awhile---Catching Up With Me

 So much to say and how to say it... so I'll just start with. Wow, what a year it's been.  I mean, could anyone have predicted all the shite that has hit us in 2020?  NO way!  I'm grateful for so much though, and one of them is the freedom to be able to have blogs (yes I have many) and the freedom to say whatever I want ---this is important.  I'm grateful that I live where I do and even though I'm not rich, I am healthy and live a good life. I do what I can to help others, I also have a loving husband and a Westie who I adore.  As many of you know that aside from blogging sporadically on here I'm a writer and an artist AND I work one on one with both artists and writers to help them in their careers. I've been doing this since 2006 (artists) 2010 (writers). The past few years I've focused on coaching writers as I became the queen of writing conferences and people were always hitting me up for free advice. I even started a YouTube channel CHECK IT OUT Thi

Why I Need B School with Marie Forleo CHANGING MY LIFE

Hey everyone, so I made a video see above.. in all my glorious after yoga before Beachbody or gym or whatever I do later-which could be simply walking with Wrigley glory. Meaning in Hollywood terms, not a stitch of make up! So what is B School and what on earth am I thinking spending the money when I have $8 dollars---yes EIGHT dollars, I have 8 dollars in my bank right now and about 3 bucks in quarters for laundry. LOL.. I laugh, the life of an artiste!! I am living like Jack Dawson, from Titanic---it's sooo much fun.. but you know I would like to have some stability in my life.  I am not looking to get rich here, rich wouldn't be awful...but you know, I just want to take my life to the next level and I am planning on doing just that. Seriously, I need to stop saying the following things: 1) I can't afford to.....(whatever) I am sooo sick of hearing me say that I can't go to this conference or take this class or tak a weekend off because I don't have the m

Living Like Jack Dawson Making It Count

Last week was an awful week for me and I let worry, fear, and dread get to me and it was not pleasant. So this is a brand new week and in a new week I am going to do my best to change my attitude and start living life like Jack Dawson-hopefully with a better ending. If you wonder what I mean by that, I mean that I will still work hard and do everything in my power to change my life/financial/job situation, but I will adapt his atitude of enjoying every day and taking life as it comes and not freaking out every time things don't go as planned. In the last 6 years I have been in this situation where a job ends earlier than I thought, or something falls through and it always works out, yet every time it happens fear creeps his ugly head in and starts freaking me out. I am done being afraid. I can't take much more of this, so besides working hard and changing my strategy, I am going to change my attitude and enjoy things more. This summer I was in Seattle and one week in August I