Skip to main content

If It's So Damn Easy, You F***ing Do It

This is from an article, I Will Not Read Your Fucking Script.


~There's a great story about Pablo Picasso. Some guy told Picasso he'd pay him to draw a picture on a napkin. Picasso whipped out a pen and banged out a sketch, handed it to the guy, and said, "One million dollars, please."

"A million dollars?" the guy exclaimed. "That only took you thirty seconds!"

"Yes," said Picasso. "But it took me fifty years to learn how to draw that in thirty seconds."~

What is GREAT about this, is that so many people are always asking us artists to drawing for free, or low pay and their logic.. "it only takes a second"..If I had a dollar for every time some idiot out in the real world did this me, I would be rich beyond belief.

True story, a couple years ago I had been paid a 500 hundred dollars from a TV actor to design and draw a card for his friend and co-star. It only took me a day and one of my non artist friends was so insulted by it, she complained for days, "I can't believe you got paid that much"....I said, "okay you do it". She said, "but I can't draw." EXACTLY

My own sister, gave me a hard time for the amount I was paid for working on a series as a writer last summer. "I don't make that much in a month, and you are just writing, I mean, that is stupid."
Again, I retorted with, "okay you do it."

The point is, while the rest of the world clocks in 9-5, they all dream of doing something creative, but they can't, or they would be.

TV series are extremely hard. If you are working on an established series with characters already in place, you have to know them inside and out, how they walk, how they speak, what they think, what they feel and be able to convey that on paper in a way that not only the audience will enjoy if your idea makes it to the screen, but in a way that the showrunner or head writer will want to use you. It is a craft that takes time to develop yes, but the talent, the raw talent to be able to tell that story, that is something you are born with.

Now with art, it is the same. You can take class after class and work and get better, but the raw talent, that is a gift that you have and that is what sets you apart.

In animation not only do we have to make a great drawing, we have to have all the above mentioned acting described in how characters are in a tv show, we have to move this character, which guess what folks? That is drawing after drawing and they all have to work together.

These people that think that just because what we do is creative and therefore we love what we do, that we shouldn't be paid for it are so totally clueless.

I used two examples, TV series and animation because those are two things close to me, but all writing, all art, is the same.

So here is a word to all you in the real world. If it is so damn easy, you fucking do it~

I'm just sayin'

:0)

Comments

  1. This reminds me of the old Jon Lovitz skit where he would blow his nose ona napin, throw it to the floor, and say it was worth millions because: "Iiiiiii'mPicasso!"

    Anyway, I love your title and your point. I am not a TV series writer, but as a fiction writer I have noticed how easy it is to criticize others. I have a response already saved up for critics: "How many novels have you published?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha....I have to say I just fell of my chair while laughing out loud. This just sounds too familiar to stay serious. Thanks for this awesome post!

    Best wishes
    -Victor Ens-

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sapphire. I have two chick-lit novels published under a pen name. :0) What about you?

    Victor~Happy to entertain you! LOL...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"Who Would You Have Dinner With?"

In college and even some job applications that age old essay question always pops up: "Who would you have dinner with, dead or alive, if given the chance?"

In 10th grade, I answered Madonna because I thought she was strong, ambitious, smart and could do whatever she wanted. I admired her so much, and wanted to be like her in many ways-not a pop start-but I wanted to be like her spirit. I was living alone at the time (long story), and had really no one in my life to look up to and she was a role model to me.

In 12th grade we were asked the same question and again, I answered, Madonna for the same reasons. Although at this point I had moved in with my mother and my step-father, who hated me in high school. I was really close to my step-brother John, but still felt isolated and alone and Madonna symbolized someone who made it on her own, even though things were hard.

Throughout the years I have had many idols and of course that question has been asked of me in interviews and su…

Letter To My Sandwich

Dear Grilled Cheese Sandwich,

I just wanted to say thank you for being so yummy and keeping me full during these hard economic times. You are always faithfully there ready for lunch, or a snack, and sometimes breakfast. The way the cheese melts between your two slices of bread, make you irresistible to walk away from and impossible to ignore.

I love you completely with my whole heart. You were the only one who helped me through my college years when I was just new to the adult world. You helped me make the transition back into eating after quitting acting. You guided me through many a late night working in animation those first few years. Now you are back to help me survive through this hiatus.

I will always be grateful that you are there, cheap and easy. Your ability to keep me full for an entire week and yet not requiring that I empty the piggy-bank to do so means more than I can ever express. I believe that we will be seeing a lot of each other in the next few weeks until I start …

How to Be Healthy and Fit-Don't Listen To....

People often ask me about health & fitness because I was so involved in that industry for so many years and I still post about great programs, blogs, books, trainers, online classes, programs etc. (like Denise Austin-who was the first person I trained with in the late 80s to get certified, Michelle Bridges, Mari Winsor, Tracey Anderson and workouts like Barre3, The Bar Method, Zumba, etc).

Here is what I'm going to say.
1) Just because someone has starved themselves and lost a ton of weight, that does NOT make them an expert.
2) Just because someone runs or goes to the gym, that also doesn't make them an expert.
3) People who give sweeping advice like, 'be gluten free, be vegan, only eat 1000 calories a day' etc.. are not qualified to tell you, or anyone else how to be healthy.
4) Also, SKINNY does NOT equal healthy, this is a dangerous concept.

These are important things to remember.
If you want to lose weight or get healthier, please go to your fitness club and spe…