Skip to main content

The Parking Machine~A Fictional Story

Hello there, how are you tonight? I'm good, thanks so much for asking. . .oops, you didn't.

You didn't care that I have been working 24/7 for as long as I can remember. You didn't seem to notice the thick pink goo that is making it's home on my right side. You didn't say hello, you didn't say goodbye, you didn't hardly even look at me.

Your cell phone rang and you picked it up started talking and walked away from me. You talked for what seemed like hours, about your car and the fact that you were stuck behind some idiot on the 405. You didn't care enough to even glance my way as you spoke into the phone so intently.

You and your friends all laughing and carrying on, not even noticing me in right in front of you.

I do think that boyfriend of yours is a complete asshole by the way, he also didn't say hello to me, and he was checking out the blond girl's ass as you turned to answer that damn phone. His friends all joking with him about you and you are so stupid that you don't even see it. But I do see it, and I see you so gorgeous with your long brown hair walking past me every day and never even saying hello.

I have accepted that my existence and your life are destined to be trapped forever in this silence. I stand here day after day, hour after hour, no matter how cold or hot it gets and am always excited to see you, but you ignore me.

But today was different than most days, you touched me, your hand felt so good and I couldn't believe it was happening. It was like a dream, and then words came out of your mouth that I have only heard before from the top businessmen that walk past me everyday on their way to some meeting that requires all their testosterone be boiling over and spilling out into their mouth. You weaved profanity in such a way that it was almost poetic. I felt special for being in the presence of such greatness until I realized that you were yelling at me.

So I will not give you your ticket back and I am not in the mood to take the five you keep trying to shove in my mouth. You can sit in this parking lot all night long for all I care, but you can not treat me like that. I sit here every single day admiring you and your friends and then you yell at me like that?

Nope, I will not give it back. You are stuck.

Stop looking at me like that, you deserve it.

You do, I am not bending. You should have been nicer to me.

What are you doing now? Oh no, please don't cry. I can't stand it when girls cry.

Okay fine, here is the ticket back, and I even stamped it so you can leave.

What are you doing? You are kissing me. I am blushing, and I think I may overheat. You're welcome, it is always my pleasure. See you tomorrow.

The Parking Machine by Stephanie Olivieri
(inspired by true events)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Who Would You Have Dinner With?"

In college and even some job applications that age old essay question always pops up: "Who would you have dinner with, dead or alive, if given the chance?"

In 10th grade, I answered Madonna because I thought she was strong, ambitious, smart and could do whatever she wanted. I admired her so much, and wanted to be like her in many ways-not a pop start-but I wanted to be like her spirit. I was living alone at the time (long story), and had really no one in my life to look up to and she was a role model to me.

In 12th grade we were asked the same question and again, I answered, Madonna for the same reasons. Although at this point I had moved in with my mother and my step-father, who hated me in high school. I was really close to my step-brother John, but still felt isolated and alone and Madonna symbolized someone who made it on her own, even though things were hard.

Throughout the years I have had many idols and of course that question has been asked of me in interviews and su…

How to Be Healthy and Fit-Don't Listen To....

People often ask me about health & fitness because I was so involved in that industry for so many years and I still post about great programs, blogs, books, trainers, online classes, programs etc. (like Denise Austin-who was the first person I trained with in the late 80s to get certified, Michelle Bridges, Mari Winsor, Tracey Anderson and workouts like Barre3, The Bar Method, Zumba, etc).

Here is what I'm going to say.
1) Just because someone has starved themselves and lost a ton of weight, that does NOT make them an expert.
2) Just because someone runs or goes to the gym, that also doesn't make them an expert.
3) People who give sweeping advice like, 'be gluten free, be vegan, only eat 1000 calories a day' etc.. are not qualified to tell you, or anyone else how to be healthy.
4) Also, SKINNY does NOT equal healthy, this is a dangerous concept.

These are important things to remember.
If you want to lose weight or get healthier, please go to your fitness club and spe…

Letter To My Sandwich

Dear Grilled Cheese Sandwich,

I just wanted to say thank you for being so yummy and keeping me full during these hard economic times. You are always faithfully there ready for lunch, or a snack, and sometimes breakfast. The way the cheese melts between your two slices of bread, make you irresistible to walk away from and impossible to ignore.

I love you completely with my whole heart. You were the only one who helped me through my college years when I was just new to the adult world. You helped me make the transition back into eating after quitting acting. You guided me through many a late night working in animation those first few years. Now you are back to help me survive through this hiatus.

I will always be grateful that you are there, cheap and easy. Your ability to keep me full for an entire week and yet not requiring that I empty the piggy-bank to do so means more than I can ever express. I believe that we will be seeing a lot of each other in the next few weeks until I start …