Skip to main content

"But I Don't Even Have My Phone With Me Officer."

This morning I got up and made my coffee-to my surprise I had no more creamer so I decided to walk over to Vons and get some. I grabbed my wallet and keys and was out the door in a flash. I left my mobile phone because this would 'only take a minute'.

Little did I know. . .

When I arrived at Vons the electricity was out-"arrgh!"

My coffee was already made and sitting on the Keurig waiting for me. I thought seriously about having it black, but I can't stand black coffee-addict or not.

At this point, as I walked back to my apartment, I thought about running up the 3 flights of stairs to grab my phone before driving to Pavillions, but then convinced myself in about 2 seconds, that I can live without my phone. Even if there was an emergency of some sort, it was still close enough to make it home.

I get in my car, turn on the music and start singing along as I pull out on my way to secure creamer so I can have my coffee. I am about 1/2 block from my apartment and make a left hand turn onto the street where the Pavillions-and my salvation in the creamer is waiting-is, and a cop is there. He takes one look at me, makes and illegal U-turn to pull me over.

I see him immediately but since I didn't do anything wrong, I figure he can't be after me, but I still pull to the right to give him the right of way for his pursuit. Well to my surprise, he is after me.

CUT TO:
"License and registration ma'am." (ugh I hate being called ma'am-not relevant, I just hate it). I asked him what I did, going over in my head on whether I had my turn signal on, or went through a red light-because let's be honest I had not had my morning coffee yet.
He says, "You were talking on your phone." I start laughing and he does not look happy.

I explain, "But I don't even have my phone with me officer."

He repeats that he saw me talking on the phone and please give him my license and registration-so because I have two scenes to finish and don't want to end up in jail, I hand over the documents but tell him again, "I swear it isn't even with me. I made coffee and then had no creamer and walked to Vons and their electric was out, so I got into my car to drive to Pavillions so I can have my coffee, my phone is at home."

He just stares at me, clearly not amused with my babbling.

I offer to let him search the car and start getting out and he stands back, almost about to draw his gun-and commands, "Ma'am don't step out of the vehicle."

I sit back down and say to him. "Please search my car, there is no phone in here I can assure you."
He walks around to the other side of the car, has me open the door and then step out so he can perform a search. He does, he searches the front, the glove-box, behind the seats, and under the seats-no phone found. He looks at me dumbfounded.

I offer to give him my number so he can call me and it'll prove the phone is not with me because he won't hear it ring and then he can even hear my voice on the voicemail.

Then he asks me to open the hatchback and that is when I start laughing again.

"Officer, I am not trying to disrespect you, but really? Since you say you saw me on the phone and pulled me over in less than a minute, when would I have had the time to stop, open the hatchback and put the phone in there? And if the phone was in the hatchback, then there would be no possible way for me to have been talking on it, in which case this whole thing is not valid."

All of a sudden like someone turned the light on in his brain, he gets a look of understanding and says. "I am sorry ma'am, I thought you were on your phone. I really did. It is clear that I was wrong, it is not here."

He handed me back my documents, and apologized a couple more times. I wanted to make a joke about maybe he needed his morning coffee too, but kept my comments to myself.

Then I got to Pavillions and it was like 'If You Give A Mouse A Cookie" with me in there. I got the creamer and then saw the ....which led me to want .... but that is a horse of another color and a story for another day.

Just sayin' I think God, or the universe does these kinds of things to writers so they have something to write about, because seriously, this would only happen to me, and now Ellie-the character in my new sitcom. "Ellie From Chicago"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Need B School with Marie Forleo CHANGING MY LIFE

Hey everyone, so I made a video see above.. in all my glorious after yoga before Beachbody or gym or whatever I do later-which could be simply walking with Wrigley glory. Meaning in Hollywood terms, not a stitch of make up! So what is B School and what on earth am I thinking spending the money when I have $8 dollars---yes EIGHT dollars, I have 8 dollars in my bank right now and about 3 bucks in quarters for laundry. LOL.. I laugh, the life of an artiste!! I am living like Jack Dawson, from Titanic---it's sooo much fun.. but you know I would like to have some stability in my life.  I am not looking to get rich here, rich wouldn't be awful...but you know, I just want to take my life to the next level and I am planning on doing just that. Seriously, I need to stop saying the following things: 1) I can't afford to.....(whatever) I am sooo sick of hearing me say that I can't go to this conference or take this class or tak a weekend off because I don't have the m

It's Been Awhile---Catching Up With Me

 So much to say and how to say it... so I'll just start with. Wow, what a year it's been.  I mean, could anyone have predicted all the shite that has hit us in 2020?  NO way!  I'm grateful for so much though, and one of them is the freedom to be able to have blogs (yes I have many) and the freedom to say whatever I want ---this is important.  I'm grateful that I live where I do and even though I'm not rich, I am healthy and live a good life. I do what I can to help others, I also have a loving husband and a Westie who I adore.  As many of you know that aside from blogging sporadically on here I'm a writer and an artist AND I work one on one with both artists and writers to help them in their careers. I've been doing this since 2006 (artists) 2010 (writers). The past few years I've focused on coaching writers as I became the queen of writing conferences and people were always hitting me up for free advice. I even started a YouTube channel CHECK IT OUT Thi

Living Like Jack Dawson Making It Count

Last week was an awful week for me and I let worry, fear, and dread get to me and it was not pleasant. So this is a brand new week and in a new week I am going to do my best to change my attitude and start living life like Jack Dawson-hopefully with a better ending. If you wonder what I mean by that, I mean that I will still work hard and do everything in my power to change my life/financial/job situation, but I will adapt his atitude of enjoying every day and taking life as it comes and not freaking out every time things don't go as planned. In the last 6 years I have been in this situation where a job ends earlier than I thought, or something falls through and it always works out, yet every time it happens fear creeps his ugly head in and starts freaking me out. I am done being afraid. I can't take much more of this, so besides working hard and changing my strategy, I am going to change my attitude and enjoy things more. This summer I was in Seattle and one week in August I