Skip to main content

Today in Tucson TV Drama Became Reality

Last year Grey's Anatomy ended with a bang, literally with the show surrounding a man who's desperate plea for answers in the loss of a loved one went unanswered and he snapped. He walked into the hospital planning on killing Dr. Shepard and then himself. Unfortunately, he killed several others and caused fear to run deep into the hearts of the survivors.

This Thursday, a similar storyline ran. This was about a man who went into a campus and starting shooting. Many went into surgery and the doctors of Seattle Grace were forced to relive the worst day of their lives. One of the smaller storylines woven in was the mother of the shooter. The shooter was in surgery for hours and hours. Some of the doctors and nurses refused to help him while Christina Yang came back to herself and worked with another surgeon to save him. His mother was in the waiting room and no one would tell her how he was doing until finally she had a small berakdown and talked about how she had no idea he was like this. Dr. Avery, who has previously walked out in the middle of the surgery heard what she was saying and he stepped up and talked to her about her son.

Well today in Tucson TV drama became reality as a man identified as Jared Lee Loughner opened fired on a crowd killing 6 people, in the attempt to kill AZ Rep. Gabrielle Giffords. The story is still breaking and the news of the tragedy is spreading like wildfire. It is indeed a horrific act this young man committed. I hope that people understand that he was sick, you can You Tube him, and feel for his family as well. They are also victims.

This is a horrible story with 5 people still in critical condition. What makes someone snap and do something like that? There have been so many stories like this and it is just terrifying, tragic and beyond sad.

I went to high school and college in Tucson and that shopping plaza is in a nice, safe area of town. Anyone from my family to close friends could have been caught in the crossfire. It makes me really sad and ashamed of yet another thing making Arizona look terrible.

Here is the latest from the Washington Post:

By Shailagh Murray, David Fahrenthold and Clarence Williams
Saturday, January 8, 2011; 4:44 PM

Tucson - Arizona Democratic Rep. Gabrielle Giffords was shot and critically wounded Saturday morning while hosting an event outside a Tucson grocery store, according to local news reports. Doctors said she survived the attack, but six others did not.

Federal law enforcement sources said that John M. Roll, the senior U.S. District judge in Arizona, was shot and killed in the incident. The Pima County Sheriff's office said that five others including a nine-year-old child had died, and a total of 18 people were injured.

A 22-year old man was taken into custody after being tackled by people on the scene after the shooting. One pistol was recovered and it had what police described as "an extended clip."

The man was identified as Jared Loughner of Tucson, according to the Associated Press.

Giffords, who in November narrowly won reelection to a third term, was hosting her first "Congress on Your Corner" event when a gunman ran up and began shooting her and others in her entourage with a Glock handgun, according to law enforcement sources.

Eyewitness Steven Rayle, a Tucson doctor, said he saw a young man wearing sneakers and what appeared to be navy blue sweats approach Gifford with a semi-automatic handgun raised. The man shot Giffords once in the face, he said.

After Giffords fell, he said, a number of people near Giffords sought to flee but were trapped--hemmed in by the table and a concrete post. The gunman fired into the crowd, he said.

"It was so close, and sort of a tight thing, there was nowhere easy to run," Rayle said. "So most of the crowd got it, you know."

"People that were there were just sitting ducks," Rayle said. "I don't think he was even aiming. He was just firing at whatever."

After a few seconds, Rayle said, the man stopped shooting and tried to flee.

Earlier in the afternoon, CNN and NPR reported that she had died.

"We do not yet have all the answers. What we do know is that such a senseless and terrible act of violence has no place in a free society," Obama said. "I ask all Americans to join me and Michelle in keeping Representative Giffords, the victims of this tragedy, and their families in our prayers."



You can read the full story here:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/01/08/AR2011010802422.html?hpid=topnews



Comments

  1. Had same thought because I watched DVRd Disarm episode last night and the shooter was a 20 something year old named Jared (Swore?) as stated by the policeman and thought maybe the other Jared, who is obsessed with mind-control according to AP, may have seen this episode and took it as some sort of message to emulate these events. You may not be aware of this, but coincidentally, a major book about terrorism came out a few months before the Oklahoma City bombing and the terrorist was named Thomas McVeigh in the book and I always wondered if Tim McVeigh took it as a sign and then did what he did. Very strange.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It's Been Awhile---Catching Up With Me

 So much to say and how to say it... so I'll just start with. Wow, what a year it's been.  I mean, could anyone have predicted all the shite that has hit us in 2020?  NO way!  I'm grateful for so much though, and one of them is the freedom to be able to have blogs (yes I have many) and the freedom to say whatever I want ---this is important.  I'm grateful that I live where I do and even though I'm not rich, I am healthy and live a good life. I do what I can to help others, I also have a loving husband and a Westie who I adore.  As many of you know that aside from blogging sporadically on here I'm a writer and an artist AND I work one on one with both artists and writers to help them in their careers. I've been doing this since 2006 (artists) 2010 (writers). The past few years I've focused on coaching writers as I became the queen of writing conferences and people were always hitting me up for free advice. I even started a YouTube channel CHECK IT OUT Thi

Why I Need B School with Marie Forleo CHANGING MY LIFE

Hey everyone, so I made a video see above.. in all my glorious after yoga before Beachbody or gym or whatever I do later-which could be simply walking with Wrigley glory. Meaning in Hollywood terms, not a stitch of make up! So what is B School and what on earth am I thinking spending the money when I have $8 dollars---yes EIGHT dollars, I have 8 dollars in my bank right now and about 3 bucks in quarters for laundry. LOL.. I laugh, the life of an artiste!! I am living like Jack Dawson, from Titanic---it's sooo much fun.. but you know I would like to have some stability in my life.  I am not looking to get rich here, rich wouldn't be awful...but you know, I just want to take my life to the next level and I am planning on doing just that. Seriously, I need to stop saying the following things: 1) I can't afford to.....(whatever) I am sooo sick of hearing me say that I can't go to this conference or take this class or tak a weekend off because I don't have the m

Living Like Jack Dawson Making It Count

Last week was an awful week for me and I let worry, fear, and dread get to me and it was not pleasant. So this is a brand new week and in a new week I am going to do my best to change my attitude and start living life like Jack Dawson-hopefully with a better ending. If you wonder what I mean by that, I mean that I will still work hard and do everything in my power to change my life/financial/job situation, but I will adapt his atitude of enjoying every day and taking life as it comes and not freaking out every time things don't go as planned. In the last 6 years I have been in this situation where a job ends earlier than I thought, or something falls through and it always works out, yet every time it happens fear creeps his ugly head in and starts freaking me out. I am done being afraid. I can't take much more of this, so besides working hard and changing my strategy, I am going to change my attitude and enjoy things more. This summer I was in Seattle and one week in August I